Wednesday, October 3, 2012

SPOILER ALERT: The Bible

     Circular Reasoning is actually a relatively easy concept to grasp, however, it is a little bit difficult to describe sufficiently, but I'll try my best. If after this you still do not understand there is always a different English 1010 blog or, better yet, no offense intended, Google. Imagine that.
    The definition that the four of us came up with for Circular Reasoning is: An argument in which one uses their conclusion as evidence for their conclusion which causes the argument to circle around the premise with no actual reasoning or factual evidence. I hope that makes sense because I'm just typing...
   How about some lovely examples? The first one that comes to mind is a tad bit controversial and whatnot, but I have encountered numerous times just this month including ten minutes ago and that is the argument of The Bible. I'm not trying to offend, I'm just commenting on what I've noticed, so cool your jets.
    This part that may offend you. Proceed with caution. 
    Last week, probably Tuesday or Thursday, I was walking home, or rather back to my room since I live in a very nice and well furnished box, and I was approached by not one, not two, but three religious women. There was one obvious leader, one who just stood in front of people to block their path and one who ended up behind me(probably to prohibit any attempted escape). The leader started with "Are you interested in studying the word of God?" and to that I say "Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm?". You have to imagine the darting eyes and confused look to get the full effect. (Qualifiers: I have been to a church for a religious reason a total of three times in my whopping 18 years of existence and have never once picked up a Bible or actually even attempted to figure out what all of this religion stuff is about, so it is safe to assume that I have NO FUGGIN' CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON.) So she, the leader, is asking me all of these questions about God and "how do you get to heaven" and that kind of thing and my brains are just all over the wall(aka I don't know what's going on or how to answer). This is where I actually get to the point. I've heard so many people say that the logic of the Bible is one big circle as well as other things, but we won't mention those, but I didn't really believe it until I was listening to the leader talk and read excerpts from her Bible. She would stop and say this is the word of _____ and he was an interpreter or something for God and he wrote down what God told him and then it was put into this book and we know that it is His word because the book says so and there is no flaw in this logic because it is what God says(she may not have used those words).
    Wait WHAT? How does that...? What?
    So I was standing there on the sidewalk watching people walking every which way, passing us and giving us weird looks and all I can do is stare at her and nod because I didn't grow up with this so, I'm not used to the stories and the "believe in what you can't see" logic which means I'm staring at her with a blank look on my face and saying "Okay?" to all of her questions, but she still keeps Bible-ing away(see what I did there? Babbling, Bible-ing.).
    To sum up, Circular Reasoning is basically A is true because B is true because A is true because B and so on and so forth. In order to avoid this unfortunate fallacy use evidence that supports your idea instead of describing it or using the idea as evidence.
    And that's the show!

P.S. I am truly sorry if I offended someone, but it's all I could think of and really is a good example.

the story from this post is brought to you by Sarah, so don't yell at the boys because they came up with the definition and did not aid me in the writing of the story.
Picture Link

No comments: